Thursday, September 07, 2006

Anibel’s No-No

So I was watching the Yanks take on Kansas City last night. Randy was on the mound, and he was tossing pretty well. But it was New Randy (not overpowering, hitters making contact) and not Old Randy (maybe that should be the other way around?) so I didn’t think much of it.

On the MLB Extra Innings Package, you don’t get a choice as to what broadcast you watch, so I was subjected to the Royals Broadcast. Now, you can imagine these announcers have it pretty rough. I mean, could you make a Royals game exciting day in and day out? So I didn’t even notice until the 5th inning that Randy was tossing a no-no.

He did this a few weeks ago at Chicago, taking a no-hitter into the 7th, and I started texting everyone I knew to watch it. Of course he lost that one, so this time I was keeping my big old mouth shut—or my fingers still? Is there an equivalent yet for texting?

I popped open ESPN.com to check the headlines, as I’m wont to do during the course of a game. I was excited by the fact that Randy might have the first no-hitter in the majors since he last did it. And there it was:

Florida’s Sanchez tosses no-no

My first reaction was, Crap, now Randy won’t have the first one.

And my second one was, Wait, wasn’t that the guy the Sox traded for Beckett?

Sure enough, it is. Anibel Sanchez and Hanley Ramirez for Mike Lowell and Josh Beckett. At the time, that looked like a smart move.

Now? Ramirez is batting .283 with 13 HR and 49 RBI in the leadoff spot. And Sanchez is 7-2 with a 2.89 ERA and just tossed the first no-hitter in two years.

Granted, they’re both doing it in the AAAA league, but those numbers are still impressive for a couple of rookies. Drop Hanley’s average by 10 points (a guess) and raise Anibel’s ERA by a point (the accepted math in pitcher league transition) and both those guys are more than competitive, especially given the state of the Sox rotation and the fact the Alex Platoon (Gonzalez and Cora) is holding down shortstop for the Sox.

Meanwhile Josh Beckett is a very overrated 14-10 (5.11 ERA) and Mike Lowell is a respectable .283 with 17 HR and 67 RBI.

But Lowell and Beckett are costing the Sox $13.3M this year, and Beckett just signed a $30M extension.

Ramirez and Sanchez? I can’t even use the M symbol. Their grand total: $654,000.

Theo Epstein has to be kicking himself this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home